Although for most of the semester I was rendered mute by my shyness, I have to say that it has been quite a journey from my very humble beginnings to my slightly less humble present. I've managed to survive my nearly illiterate start only to meet a barrage of comma splices and poor diction choices. I've also found myself reading through works that I have had to struggle. Although my journey is still at the beginning stages, I feel that I've learned and accomplished much. Perhaps, the most important thing is that I have a clear direction as to what type of reader and writer I would like to be.
In regard to reading, one of the most important lessons from English 2145 is to be insightful. Before I came to this class, I would simply read through a work very quickly only to be done with it. I would look at certain issues or ideas within the text, but I would never go in depth. After being in this class, I've realized that the beauty of literature, poetry, and prose is to deeply reflect on it. Of course, one would like to be entertained by what they read. However, there will be many situations when entertainment is not present at all. In those cases, you should fall back on your love for reading and analyze the work. Even if you're half awake by the end, at least you will have a clear educated opinion and sense of what the work is really about. Fortunately for me, in this class, there was only one work in which I've felt this way. In my future as an English major I would like to be a deep reader. I want to really get down into the "meat" of whatever particular work in which I am engaged. I want to enjoy reading at the same level as my professors. If I have their same enthusiasm, I know I'd make a great teacher one day.
As far as writing goes, I've grown slightly. I'm improving on my thought process and my development of ideas. At times, I still have trouble with blending my main thought together with perfect cohesion, but I've improved nonetheless. I haven't tested my skills in actual novel writing, which is one of the main things I would like to do. During this semester, I've written many poems. I am pleased with most of them. However, some of them end up in file thirteen. This summer will be a perfect opportunity for me to expand my skills of writing. I will have multitudes of free time. Throughout the semester, I've been thinking of writing a fiction novel based on my experiences in Hurricane Katrina. That idea is racing through my head as I write this essay. That is another project that I'll put off for the summer.
In terms of the works I've read this semester, I've been inspired by some. After reading Persepolis and learning more about Marjane Satrapi, I think that she is one of the most awesome people ever! Not only did she write an awesome graphic novel, she directed an Academy Award nominated movie. The most inspiring part about her work is the fact that she does it to shed a better light on Iran. She only wants the rest of the world to see Iranians as human beings and not terrorists.
Shakespeare's King Lear is another work that struck a cord in me. With my Christian background, I've always been taught that love is unconditional. However, King Lear based his daughters inheritance on how much each of them loved him. Needless to say, he curses the one daughter that truly cared for him and is left with two who lead him to his demise.
Finally, I am excited about my future in the English major. With my new found attitude towards reading and writing, I'll be sure to improve in my studies in the future. I am also confident that I will continue to have amazing instructors who always leave me with something to think about and put up with my mute presence in class. Ultimately, I am blessed that the skills I learn from this class and major will help me to apply them to the Bible and Christian studies.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment